Saturday 23 July 2011

Happy birthday Daddy-o!!


I took this picture of a Spitfire just for you... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hope you are having an excellent day, I shall text you later when it's actually your birthday and not just in my time zone.
Here are some more Spitfire pics:

I went to Auckland Museum on Thursday pm - after a morning of stress echoes, my supervisor said that nothing exciting would be happening on the ward, so sent me off to absorb some culture. I excitedly took photos of giant weta - ugh, this is what happens when you have a warm climate and few predators, insects get MASSIVE:

and really cute stuffed kiwi. Still not seen a live kiwi, but they are very rare....
THe museum was pretty darn good - they had a brilliant section of objects from all the Pacific Islands, and an exhibition about how the islands interacted with each other and the goods they bartered etc. Then there was a bit about Maori settlement in NZ (around 1200AD) and how the Maori classify everything into its own "whakapapa". This is something I don't really understand - it's quite confusing - but it's about how everything is interlinked with its own genealogy, all the way back to the folklore about the beginning of the world...

There was also a fab section on WW2 which I visited to get the Spitfire photo - it was really interesting to see WW2 from the NZ perspective. They had the loveliest exhibition called "Mr Jones' Wives" which was about the women who fell in love with NZ servicemen during the war, and were shipped out to start new lives in NZ at the end of the war. They had loads of mementoes and different stories and love letters - it was really cute and made me sniffle like a fool. Bah.

Thursday night I made a ginormous risotto with butternut squash, mushrooms, courgettes and blue cheese (sorry slipping back into food blog ways here, ahem), and chilled out with a glass of wine talking to fellow travellers.

Friday was a ward round (my feet hurt from standing up the entire morning, whinge whinge) and after lunch and a bit of listening with stethoscopes my supervisor sent me off to explore more of Auckland. Yes he is awesome! I toddled off to explore Auckland - in the rain. Did a bit of shopping and got some more food - quelle surprise - and headed home to make me a steak with mushroom sauce and drink a bit more wine. Now delighted to report I have finished Tristam Shandy - thank the lord - and am onto Vanity Fair which is decidedly zippier reading.

Today I gave myself a lie-in and it was lovely. Got some boring stuff like laundry done, then excitedly located a farmers market in Parnell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohhhhhh the joy. One of the most annoying things about travelling is having to rely on supermarkets so much; I hate the places with a passion. But when you don't know the area you end up falling back on supermarkets - I honestly feel like I'm selling my soul, buying fresh produce from those places.... *shudder* HOWEVER. This makes me feel better:
farmers market bag and produce :) and yes I am in the library for the free wifi.

I got some flowers for tonight, and some AWESOME free-range pork, and a few veggies and a beautiful avocado. I don't like eating alone (cooking for one sucks) but I'm sure I will find someone to share it all with .... I practically forced my roommate Emilie to share some of my dinner last night. Ahahahaa I am such a food freak.

Going to dinner at James and Lucy's (supervisor and his elective-saviour wife) house tonight - rather excited because they have a dog and I miss Luna so much.....

Right, off to explore a bit more - might walk up Mt Eden or One Tree Hill or something. It's a lovely day, wheeeeeee :)

Lots of love xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment