Tuesday 13 October 2009

follow up

Just realised I failed to actually update you on how my follow-up appointment went; with my ominous silence, you'd all have grounds for believing I'd had a horrific relapse. However it was rather uneventful, mainly because I was so hungover I couldn't speak, let alone formulate questions to ask. We established, though, that I have no lumps anywhere and am in remission - YAY - and will need a CT scan in 3 months to confirm this.
Once the hangover had abated I decided to email my consultant with a list of the unasked queries. This is the gist of his reply:
1. I can get a flu jab and Hep B booster
2. Yes I can get my ears pierced...
3. My chances of getting AML (acute myeloid leukaemia, a risk of chemotherapy. I blame the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine for giving heebie jeebies) are thankfully pretty remote - "probably less than 2%".
4. Now that I'm in remission, my chance of relapse will get less and less as time goes on - at present it's about 20% (pause to gulp). This is the one I tell myself not to worry about - there's no point frightening yourself to death about something that may very well never happen. Also, statistics mean nothing to the individual - 20% - one in 5 - 20 in 100 - 2 in 10 - what's it all about??

And on that note I feel we should move swiftly onto FOOD, more specifically THIS:


Which was a fantastically good almond-praline cheesecake - if you couldn't tell by looking at the photo. We have Emily to thank for its (all-too-brief: it was devoured pretty rapidly, mostly by yours truly) presence on this earth. Here she is, eating the main course (hot Indonesian salad):


The most exciting thing about this cheesecake - from a gastronomic and coeliac point of view - was its base. The base came from my frantic Googling upon realising that I had no time/inclination to make gluten-free biscuits (my normal cheesecake base). Buying any was out of the question - I wouldn't feed TruFree or Freefrom digestive biscuits to my worst enemy. So Google found this cheesecake crust recipe which was a) really easy and b) so addictively almondy-buttery-sweet that Emily and I were having to stop ourselves from eating it all before it went in the oven. Sorry no full cheesecake recipe tonight (I can provide one on request but am a busy little bee right now, buzz buzz).

Also, Emily's brownies = out of this world. She puts orange chocolate in them....

I went home this weekend and had a lovely time - and Tim hasn't died of fresher's flu yet, which is reassuring. It says something about how good home is that even after an enforced 6 month stay there (with escapes for, um, chemo) I still want to go back in term time...


I love October. mmmm crispy leaves!!!!

Ta ta for now: I have a massage party to attend. Intrigued? So am I! Au revoir!

3 comments:

  1. Great news Roz, and the cheesecake looks pretty good too...... Love Anna & Jonathan xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roz,
    Great to see your all sorted now. I only started reading your blog recently. But I have really enjoyed it - makes me hungry most of the time.

    I think you were about 1 month ahead of me. I can see some of the same themes. In the same clinical trial. Negative PET, but do the radio for the sake of medical science. Need someone to take my place as a blood donor.

    Heres to a healthy future,
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roz,

    This is Jon from Adventures in ABVD blog here in America. I have caught up on your blog and love to hear that you are in remission. I hope the best for you going forward. Great news.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete