Monday 4 May 2009

i miss my camera because i wanted to take photos of this weekend and put them up to make you jealous

Sigh. I am anti-climaxing SO HARD right now. Which is right and natural, because I had a lovely Bank Holiday with Janet and Gaita; so lovely I don't even know how to start blogging about it....

They got here on Saturday in Janet's battered old "nail of a car" as my dad rather harshly described it. To be fair it does seem to be held together mainly by mud....After a wee snack we set off on a walk with a load of family friends to Bluebell Wood, which was for once full of bluebells and looked all mystical and fairytale-ish. I updated them on the news of the week (short-legged horses and all) and generally caught up...before heading back for a BBQ in the evening. Lots of sausages....and tasty salads courtesy of Ian and Caroline. I shall be getting the chickpea salad recipe soon.

Jan and I started Sunday off with a run (Gaita lay in bed and got up at 11. ELEVEN!!! hahahahaaa don't be friends with girls who write blogs...) Lovely weather and beautiful scenery but the treacle-legs hit again and I was utterly pathetic. Staggered up some hills and trotted along the flats at the pace of a plague-ridden donkey. Ah well. We were going to try again this morning but it was raining, and we went all Italian and refused to leave the house. Will try some more runs later this week when my legs recover from the treacley heavy cotton-wool feeling. (I know that makes no sense, but I'm the one writing this blog so just shut up and read.)

On Sunday evening I was persuaded by the other two to go on a bike ride which turned out to be fantastic. We rode along by the river to the lock and followed the towpath for a mile or so, with a blue sky and fluffy white clouds the whole way...If I'd had a camera and could take a picture from a moving bike - doubtful - I would have posted one here of Janet riding along ahead of me through a lot of greenery and waist-high cowslip with her copper hair flying. But alas you will just have to picture the scene. It was absolute soul-food and I shall try to hang on to that feeling of utter contentment in the next chemo.

We had a lot of other yummygood food - made Gaita cook us pasta siciliana for Sunday lunch, then a sublime (FREE-RANGE) roast chicken, complete with breast implants, for dinner. That became a Nigel Slater-inspired creamy chicken & mushroom risotto at lunchtime today. Followed by rhubarb crumble.....right I will shut up now. Gaita took the photos so as soon as I can get them off her they will pop up on here for illustration.

Obviously we didn't just eat and try to exercise it off - I cut and curled Gaita's hair, we sat in the garden, went to the pub, chatted, oh and after Sunday dinner we all played a violently competitive and corrupt game of Pictionary, and a v. rowdy hilarious game of Billionaire which made me laugh so much I nearly broke my gastric sphincter.

Anyway my darlings - if you are reading, which I will make sure you do! - what I'm trying to say is it was very good to see you. And thank you to everyone else who is keeping me going through all this - with flowers (especially the freesias, Kathryn!), trashy novels, messages, texts, emails, cards and gifts etc etc. I know I've said all this before but I don't feel I say it enough: THANK YOU :)

Sappiness over you can all go home! Back to Newcastle on Thursday for bloods (and new hearing aids!) on Friday. Chemo #4 on Monday joy of joys. Au revoir for now: I am going to go and sneak up behind Isobel and shout BOO in her ear. Well she's done it to me often enough....

4 comments:

  1. Trashy novels are the way forward!!!!

    Love you sweetie,

    Em xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh rozzy bum!!!! you make me laugh soo much as usual! LOL
    it was an AMAZINGWONDERFULINCREDIBLEFUN weekend|! and we both enjoyed it every bit as much as u! thank you soo much for all the lovely things and all the fun we had!
    i am uploading the photos on my computer as i write, so u shall defo have them v v soon!
    love u soo much darling!
    and see u soon
    AND hoefully we shall have another very amazing bike ride in the newcastle countryside next weekend.
    A GIGANTIC AND BREATHTAKING ITALIAN HUG!!
    and a VERY LONG KISS ON THE CHEEK FROM GAITAAAA*** :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roz,

    I'm Lorraine a friend of Chris at BSMS. He mentioned you to me when i told him i had Hodgkins (i was diagnosed in Jan) and told me about your blog. It's amazing how much of your experience so far has been the same as mine! I massively sympathise (especially about the sodding arm pain - might be worth looking into getting a port. I don't have one but am starting to regret it!) but it looks like you're managing fantastically and have a great attitude to things.

    I'm having my 7th chemo on thurs and fingers crossed should be done at the end of this month (although thats 50-50 at the mo). Feel free to get in touch if you want to! I'm on chris' facebook if you use that.

    Hope your next treatment goes ok. Each one done is another that you'll never have to do again! Keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure you'll get through it all no probs :)

    Lorraine(Spencer) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Roz, it's Isobel.
    I'm missing you already! Love you lots :).
    When's the next post - I'm waiting! :P.
    Lots and lots and lots of love from your little sister Izzy. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    P.S. See you on Monday night. xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete