Wednesday 1 April 2009

April rising

I toyed for a moment with the idea of telling you all that my doctor rang up this morning and told us that they got the biopsies mixed up and my lymph node was only a reactive one after all and I don't really have cancer.....but then I decided that it was funny but too cruel. So no April Fool today!

Despite really having cancer I feel pretty fine'n'dandy today. Just made myself a coffee and have been reading the student BMJ - sudden attack of geekishness. And the lovely Caroline who I haven't seen for yonks is coming round at 12. Perhaps I should get dressed.

Side effects all seem to have settled down for the moment. I've been off all anti-emetics for a couple of days now, and feel practically 100% (maybe sleeping a bit more than usual, if that's possible!). And it could be my imagination but I swear the supraclavicular lump is shrinking....maybe?? DIE LUMPY DIE!!!!

On the running side of things: I went for a run with Izzy yesterday and it went well I think. Unfortunately I didn't get any sprinting in because we had to keep stopping for her to roll her tracky bottoms up...*grinds teeth* HOWEVER she IS going to be the next Paula Radcliffe and I will be famous as A) her personal trainer and B) author of a best-selling book on how to have cancer and be funny (or annoyingly jokey about something serious).

Also Izzy would like everyone to know that she took the photo in the blog header - the flower one on the right. The flower in question came from the Hibberts' garden: isn't it beautiful? The fabric "Roz" is from a card by the v. talented Helen. I merged them after a long and frustrating struggle with PhotoShop. Thank god I'm not an architect/graphic designer or I'd be too grumpy to live.

More later but right now I am acutely aware that Caroline will be here in approximately 15 mins and I am wearing v. old pyjamas and a jumper with yogurt on it. Laters!

.......................................................................................................................

16.25pm update - this is Caroline (she of the cool red hair) eating our lunch in the garden...


And here is a close-up of the carbonara. I know, I know - I'm getting so boring about food. But am just so excited about the return of normal hunger and normal food obsession, so you'll all just have to put up with it for a bit. We used:
red onion
olive oil
Comb's Farm dry-cured smoked back bacon
peas
2 egg "reds" (as Gaita calls them), mixed with a splash of milk, black pepper and Parmesan
Schaer GF pasta

and a sprinkle of Parmesan on top.


mmm i like food. i especially like Italian food so here is the gluten-free pizza I had last night (base home-made with Juvela flour/bread mix - thank you Beth and Christine for inspiring me to do that!) CHECK OUT THAT BASE! it has AIR BUBBLES! *quivers*


Enough of this food fetishism - am off to tidy kitchen, put laundry out etc etc...

3 comments:

  1. Hehe that`s a good post :)

    And you best be eating LOTS :P

    Have a great day!

    tim xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your Carbonara recipe, specifically the addition of peas. The one that I have been favoring so far is a much heavier affair with two finely chopped onions, Canadian bacon, and garlic simmered for half an hour in EVO, then mixed with Spaghetti and 8 eggs. The original recipe is actually by Tom Cruise published on Oprah's web site, which I consider the only relevant contribution Tom Cruise made to modern civilization.
    It's very possible that the lump actually decreased in size. The first treatments seem to have the most impact. My tumor mass reduced by 50% after the first cycle, which seemed to be par for the course since my physician more or less predicted that we would 'marvel' at the CT when it came in with my next visit.
    Good luck and keep your weight up. ABVD does strange things to a metabolism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post!
    I love you lots! :)
    Love from your little sister Isobel.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete